U.S. General: Trump Approaching a Military Option Against Iran

Middle East News Network: Retired U.S. General Jack Keane said that President Donald Trump is gradually moving closer to making a decision to use military force against Iran, amid mounting pressure on Tehran and its nuclear program.
Keane explained in a radio interview that “it is clear the president has not yet made a final decision regarding the military option, but we see what is happening, and in my opinion, I believe that decision will ultimately be made.”
Several weeks ago, the United States began reinforcing its military presence in the region in response to what it described as the “bloody repression of anti-regime protesters by forces of Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.”
Iranian officials have held indirect talks with the United States in Oman addressing their nuclear program in an attempt to avoid any potential military action. These negotiations began in early February.
Similar talks had been halted last year after Israel launched a surprise attack on Iranian military and nuclear sites. Iran responded with retaliatory strikes, leading to what became known as the “12-Day War,” while the United States carried out additional strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities during the same period.
Keane warned that any potential military action against Tehran would be “much larger” this time, predicting that it would target Iran’s civilian and military leadership, infrastructure, and ballistic missiles.
“We’re talking about an operation much larger than what the Israelis carried out in the 12-Day War, but it would be compressed, and the United States would also participate, making it a powerful campaign that could put the regime on a path toward collapse,” he said. He added that Washington would gain “significant leverage” over the regime after the conflict.
Swiss authorities said on Saturday that the United States and Iran will hold a second round of indirect talks mediated by Oman in Geneva next week.
Source: The Hill

قد يعجبك ايضا